Unfortunately there are fires burning in our area and an Emergency Warning is in place. The fire in burning out of control in the Marrangaroo Army Range and the Newnes State Forest, north of Lithgow.
If you live in these areas you should have received emergency alert telephone messages.
This is a significant fire and has burnt more than 1000 hectares in the past 24 hours.
The fire has crossed the Bells Line of road and it has now been closed.
Stay updated by checking regularly with the Rural Fire Service website.
An emergency alert telephone warning message is being sent to residents in Mt Wilson, Mt Irvine and Mt Tomah.
Residents are being advised to shelter in place as the fire front approaches.
With multiple fires in the area, please postpone non-essential travel to keep the roads clear for firefighting efforts.
The weather conditions are increasingly becoming erratic and dangerous.
Fires are still burning near Oaky Park, Morts Estate, Clarence, Dargan, Doctors Gap and Hartley. An emergency alert telephone message has been sent to residents in these areas.
Evacuation centres are established at
• Mt Tomah Botanic Gardens – Bells Line of Road, Mount Tomah
• Lithgow Workers Club – 3 Tank Street, Officially John LithgowThis fire is also affecting roads and transport
• Bells Line of Road is closed between Lithgow and Bell in both directions.
• The Darling Causeway is closed northbound at the Great Western Highway in Mount Victoria.
• Motorists are advised to use the Great Western Highway as an alternative.
• State Mine Gully Road has been closed until further notice.
• The Central to Lithgow train (Blue Mountains Line) is being replaced by buses between Mount Victoria and Lithgow.
• As a result of the closure, passengers travelling to Bell Station should speak to station staff at Lithgow or Mount Victoria.
• Both train passengers and motorists are advised to allow extra travel time.